Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: K-40 in low light

  1. #1
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I want to use up my K-40 in low light, (for a band in a night club), and i have an XL camera....Can I do this or just stick with ektachrome?

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Mikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 4th, 2000
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have done it few times (no, actually I was on stage and my friend was filming) and it worked. Is there spot lights on stage? (aka Disco lights) say to the light guy to keep one or two white lights on when you film + color lights blinking.
    I made a 7 song music video in 1998 and we used to film our gigs like this. If anyone wants to buy this video email me!
    7 songs, about 15 minutes, shot with super 8, edited on Betacam sp, PAL, instrumental surfcore, The Verticals!
    Is ten bucks too much?

    ------------------

  3. #3
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    Ive filmed a few times using K 40 at night, or indoors. So long as there is some light sources available it should be fine.
    Ive filmed a funfair at night time and it came out a little dark but not much.
    I imagine a gig would be well lit and no problem.

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Inactive Member redrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 21st, 2001
    Posts
    50
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    do you need to process the film as if you'd pushed it? or is it the fact that there are stage lights which give you enough illumination to get away with this?

    i'm curious...

    peter

    ------------------

  5. #5
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    just develop normally.
    Stage lights are really bright, so you tend to get deep glossy blacks illuminated with very colour areas of light.
    I used the inbuilt lightmeter and went up a stop. Worked fine.

    ------------------

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Be sure to get an exposure from an average lit area that you're filming, (somewhere that you like the look of as far as exposre goes), then lock that down on your camera.
    If you leave it on auto, the auto-exposure is going to keep opening way up & way down, every time the camera sees one of the stage lights, which will ruin the footage.
    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  7. #7
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    yep, good point.

    ------------------

  8. #8
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    That's great. But could I use my Canon 814 with K40 in a nightclub? It is not one of the XL models. This is, of course, if I can figure out how to switch-off the CCA filter while using K40; it has something to do with those notches... Any suggestions? Thanx - Chris

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •